Funafuti was named ''Ellice's Island'' and named because of the name
of Edward Ellice, a British politician and merchant, by Captain Arent
de Peyster in the early 1800s who sighted the islands in 1819 sailing
on the ship RebeccaMr. Ellice in Britain owned the cargo of the ship.
The name Ellice was applied to all nine islands, of what is now
Tuvalu, after the map work of English hydrographer Alexander George